Wednesday 17 March 2010

Run Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run Run Run

Work is going ridiculously bad I feel at the moment. Bloody typical ey! last semester it couldn't have gone much better really, and now at crunch time it all goes, well, tits up.

I'm still working on illustrations taken from my old boys annuals and bible stories etc, but I've become more fascinated with way that men are presented within the illustrations, and with this quite old fashioned idea of men being the hunter and gatherer.

I've also decided to work from real images, as in photographs of contemporary hunters. Quite conviniently I have a good friend Amy, whose boyfriend hunts. He's a very interesting person, with a really interesting background etc and he definately doesn't conform to any stereotypes that people may have about hunting. What I find interesting about Zane is that he's just a normal 21 year old but he has this really weird bizarre hobby of killing things, that's pretty unheard of in todays youth culture! Also I like how he contradicts preconcieved ideas that people may have about people that go out and hunt, because I have actually never met anyone who cared as much about animals in my life as Zane does.

I am using photographs of him hunting and whatnot at the moment to make paintings from. It's really frustrating because I've become really interested in this subject, which I think is helped along by the fact I actually know Zane and have spoke to him on a few occasions about the whole thing and find it really fascinating, but the paintings I'm making just don't reflect this at all.

Here are some of the photos I've worked from (Hopefully Amy won't mind me using them) and also just some bad photos of the work I've actually produced.









No comments:

Post a Comment